Monday, January 3, 2011

Monthly Mosaic Blog

January 3rd, 2011
Happy New! I love starting a new year. It's a time to reflect on what has brought you happiness, what you are thankful for, what challenges you've had along with what you have learned over the past year. It's nice to think of starting each year like a blank book that you are going to fill by the end. There may be a few pages you would like to rip out and burn but that's life so... you pick yourself up and move forward. You set your goals, keep your thoughts positive, and be grateful for what you have.
On to mosaics...
I did get my Mundo de la Musica framed and the framer did such a nice job with it. I entered it in the Art Alliance Show in Elk River and I was selected!! They only selected 200 out of 855 works that were entered. The show opens Next month.

I finished two more mini mosaics-they are really fun to do and I plan on making more in the
future.











I also finished a piece that I started last spring. It's an idea that came from the mosaic summit in Chicago. I just loved the carpeting in the halls at the Palmer House where the summit took place. On the carpet were beautiful designs of peacock feathers with bright colors. I could not help but turn the designs into a mosaic (I guess that's how the mosaic mind works-always thinking of what would be cool as a mosaic). I still need to grout it, I'm thinking of black grout. The title will be "Memories of Palmer". In the design I layed out the tiles thinking of a hungarian needlepoint stitch.
Onto new ideas and mosaics. I've been sketching a little and coming up with a few new mosaic ideas, here are a few I would like to start. I have some opportunities to show artwork at our local bank and also our Mosiac Guild will have a show in June. I'm going to try to get these done in time for the shows.

Goals for January

Finish grouting and framing "Memories of Palmer".

Start and Finish "Night by the Thames" piece and have it ready to put in the bank show.

Make a few mini mosaics.

Decide on what volunteer positions I'd like to work at the Next mosaic summit.

Quote of the month

"Know what you want to do-then do it. Make straight for your goal and go undefeated in spirit to the end." -Ernestine Schumann-Heink, Opera singer

No comments:

Post a Comment