Thursday, December 1, 2011

Monthly Mosaic Blog

Another interesting month in the world of mosaics. I finished my 5th mini mosaic thanks in part to those wonderful IKEA frames. Some of the the pieces were so small that it was tricky to adhere and get them to lay correctly. I just need to grout this one and it is done! This one is based off of a drawing i made which I would like to make on a larger scale at some point. I love to listen to music in the morning with my cup of coffee and read. I call this "morning fill".




Here is a new one I am working on. I decided to mosaic the outside of the IKEA mirror. I played around with a few ideas and these colors were calling to me since I have been working in earthtones the last few projects. I could see this one going in a little girls room. It will have a fairy tale feel to it.


I finished my "African Sun" Piece and just need to get it framed. I entered this one along with my "Dancing Birch" piece in the Arts in Harmony Show at the Sherburne Government Center. I hope they get into the show.



Well, I finally made it to the Chicago Mosaic School this month for 2 workshops. I have never been at the school and I was thrilled to be there. The first workshop I took was a color theory with mosaics by Rochelle Borrett. I also took an installation workshop with Joseph Guyer. Both intructors were outstanding and I took a lot of info home along with my head swimming with ideas (as if it is not already filled with the wide array of projects I would like to do). Of course it was fun picking up a few purchases at Tiny Pieces. It was nice meeting Andrea who runs the store, she also had info on framing-cool!





Here's the fireplace our class was working on for the installation piece-we also worked on the floor of the fireplace and a bathroom floor within the school.



My next big project is one that has been swimming in my head for awhile. I want to make a larger mosaic for our bedroom using the Jacobean textile idea. I am drawn to textiles, patterns, nature and texture which is all part of that era. I have done a few sketches but wanted to more about the history of the Jacobean era, So... I have been doing a little research in that subject.


The Jacobean Era was a period in English and Scottish history that coincides with the reign of King James VI (1567-1625) who also inherited the crown of England in 1603 as James I. The Jacobean era succeeds the Elizabethan era and preceeds the Caroline era and specifically denotes a style of architectural, visual arts, decorative arts and literature that is predominate of that era.

I am going to the Textile Center today to pick up a book that I found and I am searching fabric designs. I will put all this together for my own version of the Jacobean feel. I would like it to be a blue and white theme which would go well in our bedroom. It is always so fun starting a new project!


Plan for the month


Finish Fairy Tale Mirror

Attend MMG Holiday Party (yeah! Tesserae exchange!)

Start Jacobean Floral Mosaic
Oh Yah, I need to fit Christmas in there somewhere-ha :)


Quote of the month


"All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today" -Indian Proverb















No comments:

Post a Comment