Monday, May 2, 2011

Monthly Mosaic Blog

Last month was a little slow in the studio but I had time to get a few things done. I also cleaned up my studio where my sketching table is and organized that a little more. I think much clearer and I can enjoy myself more when things are where they need to be and it's not as cluttered. .



I finally finished a mosaic project I started at SAMA. This was started in an Emma Biggs class that I took. I'm glad I finished this since it did teach me about tone and "layering" along with composition. I do like the look of the matt ceramics in the background and how the vitreous glass stands out. Since we were given a limited "palette" It forced us to use more neutral colors, which I found I did like in the end.






A new small project I took on this week is being donated to a silent auction fundraiser for the Crisis Nursery in our county. They needed it within a few weeks and so I thought I could put something small together for the event. It's an 8" x 8" dragonfly piece. I decided on this since I had limited time and have done other dragonflys. I just have the background left to do then grout and get it framed before Friday. I had to sweet talk the framer in town to help me out on a quick frame job (it's definitely a plus to have a good repore with your framer).

After 21 hours (it's nice to keep track of how long it takes) Lasiren 2 is complete. I'm very happy to donate my time to give back to others. My square will be one of 24 squares that will be put together as a large installation in a hospital in Haiti. What a wonderful mosaic group we have to have so many people dedicated to the project and to see it through! Thanks to Susan and Lori for heading the project up!!


This was fun to do but challenging because I have never done a face/skin before and was not sure on the colors/tones and andemento (always so much to learn in the mosaic world).



Goals for May


Finish dragonfly


Start and finish Egyptian vessel


Sketch next piece-I'm thinking sunflowers


Make a few smaller pieces for Edina show


Quote of the month


"There are very few human beings who receive the truth, complete and staggering, by instant illumination. Most of them aquire it fragment by fragment, on a small scale, by successive developments, cellularly, like a laborious mosaic." -Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment