Friday, June 1, 2012


Monthly Mosaic Blog
This month went by very quickly!  I finished my mosaic for the CMA competition in the nick of time (a day before it was due).  The theme was music and I based my mosaic off a sketch I completed this winter.  I wanted to make it a lively piece with different angles and shapes of the instruments.  Also to play around with different shades of color to create a spotlight shining down through the piece, thus the title "In the Spotlight".  I was THRILLED to find out the within a few days I had won the members choice award!!  I was so honored to receive that from my mosaic peers on CMA :)


Also this month I now have a space in our local gallery.  I am excited to be a part of a gallery that has so many accomplished artisits in it.  I decided to hang some of my smaller pieces.  I found that I want to work faster and more often now that I do have a space to display and sell my work. I am finding on a normal week I can get in at least 4 hours a day of work in.  Like always, many ideas swimming in my head and not enough time.

Speaking of swimming this is a Koi fish mosaic I was trying to get done by the end of the month, but as you can see it is "a fish out of water".  I had other committments that came up.  I looked online to see what coloring the koi fish had and did some freehand drawings based on that and came up with this sketch.  The scales took awhile to complete, I spent about 5 hours on them, since I of course wanted smooth edeges  (love my glass grinder). I am not quite sure how I am going to do the water yet but it is obviously going to be a complementary color theme.  This is a 12 x 12 on wedi board.

Goals for the month
-Finish Koi Fish
-Attend MMG Meeting
-Figure out which sketch to start another larger piece for MMG show in July
-Organize my digital pictures of my mosaics (I feel like they are everywhere on the computor)

Quote of the Month
"Life is whatever we choose to make of it."    

No comments:

Post a Comment