Monday, October 1, 2012

Monthly Mosaic Blog

 
Ahhh, Autumn!  My favorite season.  I don't know if it is because of past school years but I always feel a need to plan out my next "school year" still.  So that is what I did this month.  I set a plan of 4 submissions I would like to be part of this year and wrote them down.  One is in November (Arts in Harmony Show), one in March (for our MMG show), one  in May (MCA's member show) and the last one is in July (I am going to try for the state fair).  Nice to have those goals for the bigger mosaics I would like to make this year.
 
Here is my "Autumn Sail" Mosaic complete.  I used Stained glass, vitreous glass, mirror and a few buttons.  I was not sure what title to give this piece until a white triangle glass shard dropped onto the blue when I was cutting and it reminded me of a shape of a sail.  I like the way the andemento gives the feel of a beautiful fall breezy day-good day to sail!
 
 
This is an 8 x 8 that I am finishing for a presentation I am doing this month with our local art guild.  I am going to get it all done except the grouting so this will be the piece I will grout during the presentation.  I am calling it "Morning Fill" 
 
 
 
Here is an 11x 11 piece for the community grid project.  It has been VERY challenging to figure out how to approach this as a mosaic.  I have 1/4" Wedi board that I'll adhere it to.  I have never done this before but thought I would just sketch it out first onto the board with what colors go where, which I think will help with color choice and cutting lines.

 
I did find a sketch I did last year that I thought would be interesting to do as a mosaic.  Just not sure how to make the stones look like stones.  This may be one that I will try to get done before the May deadline for the MCA Member show.  One of my favorite parts of being a mosaic artist is seeing my sketches come to life in glass!

 
A few other art/ mosaic related things I have been up to is:
  • watching the PBS series "ART 21" it is wonderful to get into the minds and hear the opinions and struggles of other artists.
  • Started reading "COLOR" by Victoria Finlay.  It is a book about the natural history of the palette and where these pigments came from.
  • I may have two of my music mosaics displayed for our community orchestra event! I'll of course be very honored if that happens!
  • I also may have a few pieces in a spiritual creativity event-I am still waiting to hear if I was one of the artists selected.

Goals for the month
-Get ready for presentation
-Finish Community Grid Project
- Start on large Sunflower mosaic :)  -I have been excited to get going on this one!
-Attend the CMAB workshop on time management for artists
-Attend the Community Orchestra Event
-Attend Creativity workshop event in town

Quote of the month
"There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, thanks to their art and intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun."         -Pablo Picasso

No comments:

Post a Comment