Thursday, November 1, 2012

Monthly Mosaic Blog

I have to say this was one of those months where the stars were aligned.  I had some interesting and fabulous opportunities come my way. 
 
At the beginning of the month I had some of my pieces in the Art Harvest Festival in town and had the opportunity to meet a few more of the Buffalo Community Orchestra members.  They asked if I wanted to be featured in their newletter since I intertwine music into a lot of my mosaics.  I was very honored and it did make me think about how music really does effect me on a daily basis.
 
 
I was also asked to do a presentation to the Buffalo Art Guild about my process.  So I was the "guest" speaker this month and I had fun putting together a two hour presentation on mosaics-tools, tesserae, technique.  I finished an 8 x 8 to bring in to show how I grout my pieces and finished the talk with the completed mosaic.  This was another version of my "Morning Fill" design.
 
 
 

My work was also a part of the "Spirit and Creativity" event in town.  Local musicians,poets, and artists combined their work in one night.  They had four of my art pieces in the program.  This was an amazing experience to be part of!

This is a mosaic design that is finely coming to life that I have been wanting to do for over a year.  I thought I would try to get it done for the Arts in Harmony show but as you can see I did not get it finished, oh well.  There are a few other shows I would like to have it in for 2013.  In this piece I want to create an illusion of depth with the varying tones of color.  So far I think it is working.  I am not sure on the color of the background yet, probably an offwhite.

 
Here is my "grid" project square for our Buffalo Art Guild group.  Mine will be one of 18 other artists squares of different mediums.  There is a deadline to get it done by the 3rd Monday of this month.  It has been a challenge with the fence.  I was trying to find the right material for the look I want and be easy to use in the scroll work.  I ended up using the back of some black stained glass that has a metallic backing on it. I am also using the Vitreo glass tiles and sometimes those can be a little fussy to work with on a smaller scale.  It will be interesting to see all the squares come together. 


Another very cool opportunity is that my work is featured on the front cover of the Hopkins Center for the Arts Season Brochure. Our Minnesota Mosaic Guild is having a show there starting on March 7th.  Thanks goes to Janine and Barb for getting us in there!  I am sure it will be another wonderful event for our group.

I am just thrilled how my passions are intertwining and the amazing people that have come into my life because of art! 

Goals for November
-Finish Grid Project
-Work on "Nature's Grace" mosaic
-Go to Art Attack this weekend-I love meeting other artists and supporting others.
-Organize my drawing table-I have sketches, books, paper, colored pencils, etc. everywhere!

Quote of the month

"What is passion? Passion is surely the becoming of a person."   -John Boorman

No comments:

Post a Comment