January 11, 2009
Well I have come to realize that I just can't get to blogging as much as I would like so from now on I will be blogging every Monday. I will call it the Monday Mosaic Blog. I had to find some way to continue with my year of blogging without going insane. This will keep it more manageable. I will also lay out my plans/goals for the week and then recap how I did the following Monday.
So... for my Monday Mosaic Blog....
I finished adhering my "Welcome" sign today. I like how it turned out so far. Now onto the grouting! I'm thinking of using black grout. It's my new favorite color to grout with since it makes the colors POP. I used stained glass, metal, ceramic and beads. I used Wedi Board as the substrate. I came up with this design on my own, I love flowers, swirls and movement and I think this piece covers all that.
I also am taking a Smalti class every Tuesday and I had some "homework" to finish up. Our instructor wanted us to get an image that we liked and make it into a 9 x 15 color and black and white. Then we had to transfer it to our MDF board. We also had to trace from the black and white and do a gray scale and number each space. It took about 3 hours total but I like my design, it may be a little challenging though. Tomorrow we get some of our smalti and start adhering. This is definitely going to expand my mosaic horizons into something I have not tried before.
Plan for the week
-Grout "Welcome" sign
-Clean up studio
-Start laying out my installation piece (counter/bar area)
-Start on my smalit class piece.
Instead of a quote a day it will obviously turn into quote a week.
Here are some words to ponder for the quote this week
HOW TO FEEL MISERABLE AS AN ARTIST
1. Constantly compare yourself to other artists.
2. Talk to your family about what you do and expect them to cheer you on.
3. Base the success of your entire career on one project.
4. Stick with what you know.
5. Undervalue your expertise.
6. Let money dictate what you do.
7. Bow to societal pressures.
8. Only do work that your family would love.
9. Do whatever the client/customer/Gallery owner/Patron/Investor asks.
10. Set unachievable/overwhelming goals. To be accomplished by tomorrow.