Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday Mosaic Blog-day 257



I met one of my biggest challenges yet since I have started blogging. I made one of my biggest mosaics (12" x 30") and it was due in 2-1/2 weeks! This piece taught me a lot, a few important things are having patience and enjoying the process. I also learned that I love being in the creative moment when you are asking yourself what if? I did that a lot. What if I put these beads here, what if I put this color there, what if I layer these textures etc... And it is in these moments we can create and loose track of time, which is a wonderful place to be! I used stained glass, millifiori, beads, vitreous tile, karma tile, colorfusion crystal and one pearl (ha). I had all this on hand and did not have to buy anything extra, which was very nice to save some time running errands for extra materials.

I decided on the title after it was done-I usually don't title a piece until I get to know it as I am working with the piece-this may sound a little weird but it's true. I gave it the title "Summer Symphony". The flowers are the beautiful instruments that come together and the background are the beautiful sounds that move and vibrate around.

I brought "Summer Symphony" into our local art gallery Saturday morning to go through the juried process. The hospital plans on putting these in each of the new maternity rooms and they are only choosing fourteen local artists. So far it sounds like mine is accepted!!! They really liked it and may even put it in a common area instead of one room! The offer was put out there to me to do a larger piece for a stairway in the new hospital wing! The deadline is July 1st when they have the grand opening.


Here's a picture of the after effects of working for over two weeks on a project and no time to clean up in between-I guess I have some cleaning up to do (ha)
Plan for this week
Monday-clean up studio and start working on peacock feather piece
Tuesday-back to smalti class again
Wednesday-work on peacock feather
Thursday-work on counter (and my birthday!)
Friday-work on peacock feather
Saturday-day off mosaics-I have a piano recital! along with family in town
Sunday-sketch some new designs for ideas for hospital
Quote of the week
"There is a need to find and sing our own song, to stretch our limbs and shake them in a dance so wild that nothing can roost there, that stirs the yearning for solitary voyage."
-Babara Lazear Ascher

2 comments:

  1. What a great accomplishment! The piece is wonderful and I really like the way you incorporated different shapes between the flowers. It's a wonderful melody of colors and shapes! Bravo! I'm fast becoming a fan of not only your work but your "work effort" and the time lines you set for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its beautiful, well done. And your work space looks tidy compared to mine after one day!!

    ReplyDelete